- Friday, March 13 @ 3:30 pm. March Madness: Sports on the Hill with Jon Brunner
- Saturday, March 21 @ 10:30 am – Chapel Hill, Six Feet Under: A Walking Tour of the Historic Cemetery with Tim Kuhn
- Saturday, March 28, 10:30 am: Midway with Danita Mason-Hogans
- Friday, April 17 @3:30 pm: Beneath Our Feet with Steve Davis
- Saturday, April 18 @ 10:30: Walk This Way! with Sandra & Stephen Rich
- Saturday, April 25 @ 10:30 am: Campus Architecture with JJ Bauer
- Saturday, May 2 @10:30 am: Heart❤of the Hill KIDS EDITION with Susan Worley
- Friday, May 8 @ 3:30 pm: The Noble Grove of Trees with Tom Bythell
- A Walking Tour of Carrboro with Richard Ellington: TBA
- “Ballet of the City” with Matt Gladdek: TBA
PREVIOUS FALL 2019 TOURS
Beneath Our Feet: An Archeological Look at Chapel Hill’s Earliest Days
Over the past 70 years, virtually all of the major discoveries in the understanding of North Carolina’s ancient past can be attributed to the Research Labs of Archeology (RLA) or to researchers trained there. Steve Davis, associate director of RLA and professor of archeology, will lead us to several former archaeological sites nearby and share artifacts and found objects of the people here in the early days of Chapel Hill – and before. A perfect launch for Heart of the Hill Tours in honor of “Chapel Hill 1819-2019!”
Happy Birthday, Carolina! KIDS EDITION!
Susan Worley moved to Chapel Hill when she was six – and been a devoted fan ever since! With both undergrad and graduate degrees from Carolina, Susan has been the Executive Director of Volunteers for Youth since 1988. She has also been the tour guide for Estes Hills third graders, leading them on a tour of downtown & campus to learn more about where they live. On this special tour for kids and families, Susan will include a trip to the Old Well to see the colorful University Day procession and celebrate with a bit of birthday cake! Great fun for grandchildren and grandparents, too!
SPECIAL HALLOWEEN EDITION: Chillz on the Hill. This tour is now FULL!
Yes, Chapel Hill does indeed host a few ghosts! We invite you to don your Halloween costume for a moonlight walk on campus for stories of mystery and history with writer, storyteller, educator and costumed tour guide, Sarah George-Waterfield.
WALK THIS WAY! This tour is FULL!
In ninety minutes you will walk up one side of Franklin Street and down the other in Chapel Hill’s first historic district. Learn about the history of the old village and America’s first public university through the stories, impact and influence of the people that lived along the street. Stephen and Sandra Rich are seasoned tour guides for Preservation Chapel Hill and active volunteers around town and campus since their return in 2003.
Campus Architecture. This tour is FULL!
Guided by JJ Bauer, UNC Professor of Art and Art History. Our UNC campus is a virtual, illustrated history book of architecture with its various styles, features and flourishes – all working in concert to bring character, substance and beauty to our built environment. In celebration of a revised edition of John Allcott’s “The Campus at Chapel Hill,” published this fall by the Chapel Hill Historical Society.
Chapel Hill, Six Feet Under: A Tour of Chapel Hill’s Cemetery. This tour is FULL!
Tim Kuhn will lead you through our historic town cemetery for facts, fun and hard truths of Chapel Hill’s former citizens.